Monday, February 15, 2021

Cardstock Model: Avalon Building

 


I had designed a model of the Avalon building a while ago.  At the time, I didn't know of its history.  I put "Elysian Music" on the side since I wasn't sure if "Avalon Music" was the name of a current business.  

Anyway, I had no idea at the time that this once was the historic Avalon Hotel (see link):

As the only hotel in the area which welcomed African Americans before desegregation, its guests included Duke Ellington and boxer Henry Armstrong. It housed the Avalon Café, one of two restaurants in the city which served people of color. It became a local focus of the Civil Rights Movement and opposition to it; both a march for racial equality and a cross burning occurred at the property on August 23, 1963.

I'll have to change the model a little and make it into the historical Avalon Hotel and share the PDF to make it.   In the meantime you can find more information here.





No comments:

Post a Comment